BUS TOUR "INDUSTRIAL UPPER SILESIA"
After the conference, on Friday, 26.05.2023 we offer you a tour of the above-ground historic industrial sites scattered throughout the Upper Silesian agglomeration. Most of them lie on the Industrial Monuments Route of the Silesian Voivodeship.
We have prepared a unique programme for you, which travel agencies and local tourist agencies do not have on offer. Your guide will be an outstanding expert on the history of industry in Upper Silesia, a passionate and professional guide, on a daily basis connected with the Guido Mine in Zabrze. He will be accompanied by an English interpreter.
The organiser provides the participants with a bus transfer (in total approx. 100 km around the entire agglomeration), lunch on the route of the tour in the fantastic "Maciej Shaft" restaurant (www.szybmaciej.pl), which is located in the revitalised shaft of the former "Concordia" mine, as well as admission to the visited sites.
Cost of the tour: EUR 60 gross/person
Departure from "Diament" hotel: 8.00 a.m., return to "Diament" hotel: approx. 6.00 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE: it is possible to travel by the same coach immediately after the tour to Krakow (airport or city centre).
Also on the following day, i.e. on Saturday, 27.05.2023 in the morning, transport will be organised for guests who stayed in Zabrze to the airports in Katowice (KAT), Krakow (KRK) or to the city centre of Krakow.
Please report your wish to participate in the excursion during the conference registration in the registration form or by e-mail to Ms Halina Szacik-Kusina,
e-mail: email@example.com, no later than 10.05.2023.
Payments for participation in the tour are accepted until 15.05.2023.
After this date, pre-registered persons will be deleted from the list of participants.
The participation fee for the tour must be paid by bank transfer.
In the title of the transfer, please write your name and surname as well as the note: INDUSTRIAL UPPER SILESIA
Payments on account from abroad:
Recipient: Cracow Saltworks Museum Wieliczka in Wieliczka
IBAN: EN 87 1130 1150 0012 1268 2620 0001
SWIFT (BIC): GOSKPLPW
Upon payment of the fee, tour participants will receive an invoice, which will be posted in the User Panel on the conference website www.icmum.pl.
- 8.00 departure from the hotel „Diament” and transfer to Katowice
- 8.40 a.m. tour of the Nikiszowiec housing estate of familoks (walking tour), included on the list of
Monuments of History, which is considered an architectural pearl built for the miners of the "Gische" mine - later "Wieczorek" mine
- 9.40 a.m. drive to Chorzów (past the Silesian Museum, Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra Building, the "Spodek" Sports and Entertainment Hall, which is a symbol of Katowice, the „Jerzy” shaft of the former „Gotwald” colliery, the Silesian Park, one of Europes largest city parks, the Silesian Stadium - nicknamed the "Witches Cauldron".
- 10.10 a.m. ascent to the 42-metre high shaft tower of the "President" Shaft, belonging to the former "President Mościcki" mine, and admiring the industrial panorama of Silesia
- 10.50 a.m. Transfer to Chorzów
- 11.00 am - visit to the Museum of Metallurgy in Chorzów, established on the premises of the former Smelter „Kościuszko" steelworks, formerly the "Royal" steelworks, and visit to the exhibition "Kingdom of Iron" (a visit to the Museum with a local guide)
- 12.00 journey to Bytom
- 12.30 p.m.: An outdoor tour of the former Szombierki Combined Heat and Power Plant (Kraftwerk berschlesien), designed in the modernist style (brick functionalism) by the well-known Berlin architects Emil and Georg Zillmann.
- 1.00 p.m.: an external tour of the "Krystyna" Shaft, built in 1927/1929 for the Hohenzollern Mine: 57 metres high, which looks like a Mining Hammer and has no equivalent anywhere else in the world.
- 13.30 return to Zabrze for lunch
- 2.00 p.m. Arrival for lunch in the "Maciej Shaft" restaurant, which is part of the complex of the former coal mine "Concordia" with a beautiful industrial atmosphere (possible climbing to the shaft tower or visiting the hoist machinery building)
- 15.30 journey to Gliwice
- 3.50 p.m. Exterior tour of Radio Station in Gliwice - the highest wooden building in the world with a height of 111 metres, made of larch wood, known for the so-called German provocation on the eve of the outbreak of the Second World War.
- 16.10 drive to Zabrze - A drive through the Zandka housing estate, built for the workers of the Donnersmarck ironworks. The residential buildings are decorated with half-timbered elements and varied with bay windows, risalits and covered with dormer roofs.
- 4.30 p.m. Exterior tour of the Steel - Iron House, built from steel plates, with cut window and door openings in 26 days in 1927 by just sixteen workers.
- 4.45 p.m. Transfer to the Pressure Tower in Zabrze
The Pressure Tower was built at the beginning of the 20th century on the highest hill in Zabrze in an expressionist style. Its appearance was very different from other towers built in Upper Silesia, as well as having no equivalent in Poland or Europe. It is 46 metres high and crowned with an octagonal dome more than 19 metres wide and 10 metres high, supported by a powerful pillar. 10 metres high and is crowned by an octagonal dome supported by a massive central pillar and eight outer pillars. It now belongs to the Coal Mining Museum in Zabrze.
- at 5.00 p.m. visiting the interior of the tower and the interactive exhibition "Carboneum - a centre of knowledge", climbing to the viewing platform.
- at 5.30 p.m. end of the tour and beer tasting in the "Waiters in the Tower" premises.